Monday, August 5, 2013

Unit 5 Blog. Wholeness


Compare and contrast the Loving Kindness exercise and the subtle mind exercise. Explain your experience including the benefits, frustrations etc.

The Subtle mind exercise was so much more calming and relaxing to me than the Loving Kindness exercise. One reason that I enjoyed it so much is that I could just listen to the waves crashing and focus on my breathing rather than listen to someone guiding me and giving me instructions. I felt like I was able to transform my clinging thoughts to a witnessing and calming mind. Releasing my mind was exactly what I needed to do and I really felt free and relaxed. There were no racing thoughts running through my head and I was able to be still, calm, relaxed and free. As expected your mind would sometimes wonder away, but you bring it back to subjection . This exercise really made me feel relaxed to a point that I was just tired and drifted to sleep.  I think focusing on breathing helped me stay relaxed and help me from my mind constantly running during the exercise. 

Discuss the connection of the spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness. Explain how the connection is manifested in your personal life.


The connection of spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness is vital for us as individuals in order to experience human flourishing. It is important for one to maintain a spiritual connection to the higher power, which is God, through meditation and prayer.  In doing this it does not only help the individual spiritual connection but gives us a deeper sense of  spiritual awareness but it also helps the mental and physical aspect of the individual’s life. Proper nutrition and exercise are vital for the body if one is to experience physical and mental wellness. However, without a spiritual connection, proper nutrition and exercise alone would not create the spiritual wholeness that is needed for an individual to sustain a spiritual connection. There are few things that are observed when individuals are connected with the higher power. Body, mind and soul are affected with this connection thus spiritual connection relieves one from all forms of diseases. I am one that keeps things in my mind, no matter how long and it lingers until it burst but I am learning to experience peace, forgiveness, tolerant of others and now that I have children, patience and more especially love me.

 

Reference

Dacher, E.S., (2006). Integral Health: The path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA:

 

1 comment:

  1. I also liked the subtle mind exercise better as well. I tend to tune in to the background sound and noises in guided meditations and that is what usually allows me to focus and calm my mind, more so than the person speaking. So the subtle exercise was just what I needed after a long work week!

    ReplyDelete